Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mini Drugstore Haul

So, I promised you I was going to put up pictures and swatches of the drugstore products I bought about two weeks ago. I picked up some elf eyeshadows, a 4-eyeshadow blank palette, the much raved about Maybelline Stylish Smokes Quad in Emerald Smokes, and some lip balms.

Here are my pics:
 LIP BALM Elf Therapeutic Conditioning Lip Balm & Chapstick

EMERALD SMOKES
Maybelline Stylish Smokes in Emerald Smokes, $7.99

FIRST ELF QUAD New Palette: Old Eyeshadows – Ivory & Dusk, New Eyeshadows – Golden Glow & Mocha

SECOND ELF QUAD
Old Palette: Old Eyeshadows – Pink Ice & Dusk, New Eyeshadows: Sage & Moondust

SWATCHES
Swatches without flash, *only swatched the new ELF eyeshadows

DSC_0161
Swatches with flash

ELF Eyeshadows – I love, love, love the ELF eyeshadows, got them for a buck each and I must say, the products were probably worth that and more. I already had an initial palette and I did a bit of rearranging to accommodate the new products and new palette. :D There was quite a bit of fallout, similar to my Coastal Scents Palette (I tend to avoid using any dense eyeshadow brushes as it contributes to this), but the nice pigmentation more than made up for that.

Emerald Smokes Quad – I liked the quad, however I wasn’t in love with it. It might have been the color combo, or the fact that I only used a primer (most YT Gurus used a base). The colors didn’t show up that well on my eyes, so I’m hoping to get a MAC paintpot or a NYX large eye pencil this coming payday to help solve the problem. Overall, I liked how they made the application process easier (instructions on the back and on the shadows itself) and how it looked in the quad, but on my skin, not so much. :(


Lip Balms – Chapstick has always been an essential part of my makeup routine, I’ve tried other lip balms, but they were never as good. And that’s why I completely regret buying the ELF lip balm, it probably wasn’t even worth the dollar I spent. First of all, the ELF lip balm made my lips ashy looking – the white tinge of the balm doesn’t completely come off, and I was walking around looking like a zombie! Yes, granted it was moisturizing, but it was nothing out of the ordinary. All in all, purchasing the ELF lip balm was a major disappointment. :(

Hope I didn’t overwhelm your screens with all the pictures. :D Till next time, ladies.

10 comments:

  1. I like that dusk color!

    I hate ELF lip balms too. I heard on some reviews that they make your lips ashy so I got the pink one thinking that it wont be ashy since it has color. WRONG! worst lip balm ever! It made my lips look all gross and milky

    anyhoo, great post!

    jetleah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Leah Thank you!

    Unfortunately, I keep forgetting how sucky the ELF lippies are, this is the 2nd or 3rd lip balm I've purchased that I wasn't satisfied with. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rita, my email is lorabenzie@hotmail.com. Let me know which products you want to try from LUSH and I'll go get you some samples!! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lora,

    I emailed you back!! Just wanted to thank you in advance. You're so nice. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for following :) I like your review! Those eyeshadows sure seem pigmented! As for the lip balm.. i've never tried it myself but i think i'd pass now if i had the chance haha thanks! If you're still looking for a good lip balm, i'd recommend nivea's a kiss of moisture or even just their basic essential one. it works great for me and so far, is the only thing that keeps my lips moisturized for a longg period of time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Agnes!

    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll be sure to try it if I have the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love drugstores items! Too bad the limitations in Singapore are just that much! I wish they have more

    ReplyDelete
  8. @dblchin

    I feel the same way! Living on an island has its limitations too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rita!!! You should get a cbox too! thanks for checking my blg out, I really appreciate it :)

    I love your background! Im so jealous you get to beach it all the time! The beaches where Im from are soooo ugly! I gotta visit Guam someday, my cousin's girlfriend is from there and she always has something nice to say about it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love